Full Undercard Report From MGM Scotland’s Edinburgh Show

By Andrew McCart (@Andy_FCBoxing)

MGM Scotland returned to Edinburgh for its final show of the year and the whole event was a spectacle from start to finish with some of Scotland’s top talent on display.

Coming in as the penultimate fight of the night was the exciting Stephen Tiffney who was making his second professional bout against the always tough and durable Qasim Hussain over four rounds.

In front of his always vocal support, Tiffney started the opening round well and was landing to the head and body, while switching effortlessly from orthodox to southpaw.

It was in the third round the Newtongrange native was starting to enjoy himself, as he started to drop his hands and land shots from all angles.

Hussain has proven he is a tough customer to deal with having only been stopped once in 45 defeats. Although ‘Tiff’ was landing some spiteful shots, Hussain held on to the final bell. Handing the 27-year old Scot a 40-36 victory and improving to 2-0 (1KO)

“It was tough and I expected it to be tough.” Tiffney told FirstClassBoxing. “The boy (Hussain) was a lot more awkward than I thought.

“I know I’m not going to stop everybody, but I wanted to go out there and hurt him.

“I’ve got another fight at the end of January at the Crowne Plaza on a dinner show. Looking into 2016 I’m going to just take it one fight at a time”

Stephen Simmons continued his comeback after his first professional defeat with a fifth round TKO over the 6’10 Imantas Davidatis from Lithuania.

Simmons was never troubled by the tall and rangey Lithuanian as he dictated the pace of the fight and switched his attacks to the head and body.

The big Scot got his breakthrough as Davidatis soaked up a number of unanswered punches, forcing the referee to step in and wave the fight off.

Simmons spoke to FirstClassBoxing after the fight.

“I felt great and I felt strong. I showed some of the stuff I’ve been working on in the gym with Gary [Jacobs] from slipping shots and head movement.

“I’ll have a wee warm up fight in January and hopefully a title fight in March here in Edinburgh.”

Looking to make it three wins from three was the flamboyant Lewis Benson, who was up against Matt Seawright.

Benson in his first two professional contests came up against two very tough competitors and was unable to get the stoppage.

However, with just one minute 38 seconds gone win the first round the young Scot landed a lively one,two combination which floored Seawright who was unable to beat the count.

“It felt good to get the stoppage.” Benson told FirstClassBoxing. “To be honest I knew it was coming and it was just a matter of time.

“Looking to next year, a lot of people are going to be hearing about me. I want to just keep climbing that ladder.”

Tommy Philbin made it to 2-0 as a professional, with a easy points victory over Luke Allon, in front of his screaming fans.

Philbin was looking to avenge the draw inflicted on gym mate Brian Forsyth by Allon back in September.

The 24-year old Scot looked strong throughout the four round contest, pushing Allon back with his jab before moving in and landing some solid combinations.

The Edinburgh native was maybe unlucky not to get the stoppage, but it was an impressive performance from the likeable Scot.

“I feel great. That’s two good performances to end the year. I never got the stoppages, but they were two tough boys.

“Allon took Brian Forsyth to a draw and I won all four rounds so I’m Happy with that.”

Elsewhere on the card, Brian Forsyth looked impressive after his draw last time out dropping his opponent five times with the same left hook to the body before the towel was thrown in half way through the second round.

Heavyweight Ross Henderson made his second pro bout and scored a convincing 40-36 victory against an awkward southpaw from Poland.

Livingstone lightweight Thomas Dickson made his professional debut, scoring a good points victory over the durable Kris Laight, 40-36.

Lewis Paulin continued to impress with another points victory over Dean Evans. It was a good scrap which saw Paulin awarded the scores of 40-37 to ove to 3-0.

Opening the show was light heavyweight Gordon Brennan who was making his comeback to the ring after 6 year hiatus. Brennan showed no sign of ring rust as he scored an easy 40-36 points victory over Andy Neylon.image

Follow us on Twitter @FirstClassBox

Follow us on Twitter @FirstClassBox

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmailby feather