By Elliot Foster (@FreelanceFoz)
Wladimir Klitschko will have to wait a little longer to perform the rehab suggested on Tyson Fury after withdrawing from their heavyweight world title clash.
The 39-year-old WBO, WBA, IBF and IBO champion had been set to put his titles on the line in Düsseldorf next month, live on Sky Sports Box Office in the UK, HBO in the States and on RTL in Germany.
Klitschko, though, has picked up a leg injury, said to be a pulled tendon in his right calf, and has been forced to pull-out of the October 24 clash, which was scheduled to take place outdoors at the 55,000-seat ESPRIT Arena, against his mandatory challenger.
He told German newspaper Bild: “Of course I’m mad sorry, [both] for my fans but also for my opponent Tyson Fury.”
A rescheduled date for the showdown –– which was brought to the mainstream attention after the aforementioned Fury, who is undefeated, turned up to this week’s press conference donning a Batman outfit –– is said to be announced next week.
Klitschko’s manager Bernd Bönte has confirmed, though, that the rescheduled outing will still take place at the ESPRIT Arena, while also stating that tickets bought for the October clash remain valid for the new date.by