Smith Turns Down Cotto Sparring, Says Family Comes First

By Elliot Foster (@FreelanceFoz)

Liam Smith has turned down the opportunity to spar a world champion after it was revealed that dates wouldn’t match up.

The WBO super welterweight champion, who won the belt with a stunning seven-round stoppage in Manchester 10 days ago, had been due to assist Miguel Cotto in preparation for his WBC middleweight title defence against Saul Alvárez.

Smith, however, has passed on the chance after it was worked out that the dates of the Stateside trip would clash with his brother Callum’s next fight.

Callum, the youngest of the four fighting brothers from Liverpool, faces Rocky Fielding in an all-Scouse clash for the vacant British and WBC Silver super middleweight titles on November 7 at the city’s ECHO Arena.

And Liam says that family comes first.

“Unfortunately he was going to be doing the sparring when Callum was fighting,” said Smith, who was speaking to Sky Sports’ Fraser Dainton.

“I’m not going to miss Callum’s fight for nothing, so I’ll have to give it a miss this time. Maybe it’s something that can probably be sorted again in the future, and being a world champion helps now.”

After what he has described “one of the best weeks of his life,” Smith is set to make the first defence of his newly-acquired world title before the end of the year –– and a date of December 19 has been set, despite the lack of opponent.

“I’m going to sit with [my trainer] Joe [Gallagher] and my manager Daniel [Kinahan, of MGM Marbella] and we’re going to pick an opponent.”

Follow us on Twitter @FirstClassBox

Follow us on Twitter @FirstClassBox

Proudly sponsored by Trident Construction... For all your building needs throughout Edinburgh, Lothians and Fife

Proudly sponsored by Trident Construction… For all your building needs throughout Edinburgh, Lothians and Fife

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmailby feather